Kapikacchu (Kaunch / Mucuna) Powder in Sexual Dysfunctions
Sexual dysfunctions are characterized by disturbance in sexual desire and in the psycho-physiological changes that comprise sexual response cycle. Such disturbances can cause marked distress and interpersonal difficulty in enjoying sexual intercourse.
The sexual dysfunctions include:
- Sexual desire disorders: hypoactive sexual desire disorder, sexual aversion disorder
- Sexual arousal disorders: female sexual arousal disorder, male erectile disorder
- Orgasmic disorders like female orgasmic disorder, male orgasmic disorder, premature ejaculation
- Sexual pain disorders like dyspareunia, and vaginismus.
The sexual dysfunction may be lifelong when it is present since the onset of sexual functioning. Acquired type of sexual dysfunction develops only after a period of normal functioning. Psychological factors play a major role in the onset, severity, exacerbation, or maintenance of the sexual dysfunction. Kapikacchu is one of the famous herbal drugs mentioned in Ayurvedic classics for various types of sexual disorders.
Dose and mode of administration - Seed powder in the dose of 3 to 5 grams once a day with warm milk at night.
Precautions and safety aspects
- The use of Mucuna pruriens for a prolonged period causes weight loss. The protein fraction is said to be responsible for this effect.
- Judicious use in recommended dose is well tolerated.
- Persons consuming Kapikacchu may suffer from diarrhoea which if not controlled with dietery changes and normal medication may require discontinuation of Kapikacchu intake.
- Spicy, dry, sour and stimulant food items and emotional outbursts should be avoided during medication with Kapikacchu.
Reference - Traditional Herbal Remedies for Primary Health Care