This the very common condition specially in adolescent girls and women of rural areas in India.
Common Causes of the Anaemia in Adolescent Girls
- Worm infestation
- Frequent conception or conception in early ages (Before 18 years of age)
- Excess bleeding during menstruation or any other reason like bleeding piles, bloody diarrhoea, accidents etc.
- Use of ‘Punarnavadi mandura’ in a dose of 250mg-500mg with water or buttermilk is indicated for minor and moderate anaemia.
- Anaemia caused due to excessive bleeding during menstruation could be managed by the intake of ‘tandulodaka’ (rice wash- obtained from red variety of rice) with iron preparations like ‘Punarnavadi mandura’ 0.5 gm twice daily.
- Indian Pennywort (Mandukparni) fried in ghee is also useful in anaemia.
- Juice of Amla mixed with Honey to be taken 2 tea spoonful (10 ml.) two times a day.
- Lohasav 20 ml two times a day after meal with equal quantity of water.
Do’s (dietary considerations)
- Use of green leafy vegetables like spinach (Palak), Hogweed (Punarnava), Drumstick (Sigru) and fruits like Amalaki (Amla), Pomegranate (Anaar), dry grapes (Munakka) etc. in daily diet is important to prevent anaemia. Green leafy vegetables should be prepared in iron pan.
- For enhancing the absorption of iron, one must take whole grams, sprouts, fresh fruits and fresh raw vegetables.
- Intake of tea, coffee and other preservatives in the food interfere in the absorption of iron, therefore intake of these beverages should be minimized.
- Avoid taking infected foods because it will cause worm infestation leading to anaemia.