Asthma means difficulty in breathing or breathlessness. The narrowed airways may lead to coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath (dyspnoea), and symptoms often being worse at night.
- Taking Piper longum (pippali) powder along with honey, makes an attack of asthma subside.
- Take the juice of the whole plant of Solanum surattense (chote kateri) two/ three tea spoon (10/15 ml.) as such, or with combination of equal parts of dried ginger, long pepper and black pepper (Trikatu)- 1 gm twice a day.
- You can even take Terminalia bellirica powder (baheda) one tea spoon (5 gm.) with equal honey twice a day.
- Powdered fruit of Terminalia chebula (Harad) one tea spoon (5 gm.) with luke warm water- twice a day.
- Powdered of Terminalia chebula (Harad), Terminalia bellirica (baheda) and Emblica officianalis (Amla) in combination (Triphala) two tea spoon (10 gms.) with luke warm water at bed time.
- Prepare a decoction by boiling equal parts of root of Adhatoda vasica (adoosa), rhizome of turmeric, stem of Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi/ giloy), and the fruit of Solanum surattence (chote kateri). Take this decoction internally, 20-30ml with one gram of powdered black pepper twice a day.
- During an acute attack of asthma, drink some hot water with the juice of one clove of garlic.
- Apply (massage) luke warm mustard oil (sarson tail) mixed with a pinch of Rock salt on chest.
Prevention, Diet and other considerations
- Avoid foods that can aggravate asthma such as curd, bananas, sugar sweets, black gram, buttermilk, guavas, fried foods, sour substances etc.
- Change in weather, exposure to molds, animal dander, grass or tree pollen triggers asthmatic attacks.
- Wear a scarf around your mouth and nose in cold weather.
- During an asthma attack, sit up straight and bend forward. Do not lie down. Place a hot towel over the chest. This helps to relax muscles and restore normal breathing.
- For an acute asthma attack, try steam inhalation. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel. Be careful that the water is not so hot that the steam burns your face.
- Smoking both active and passive should be strictly prohibited.
Referral criteria: If dyspnoea continuously increases refer the patient to hospital for further treatment.