Symptoms of cough
- Running nose, Sneezing
- Sometimes low-grade fever
Remedies for Cough
- Keep Glycyrriza piece (liquorice/Mulethi) in mouth in case of dry cough and sucking
- Make decoction of powder of leaves of Adhatoda vasica (Vasa/ adoosa) or fresh leaf juice of vasa mixed with pinch of long pepper (Pippali) and one tea spoon (5 ml.) honey, to be given two times a day.
- Powder of Black pepper ( Kali Mirch) with honey not only subside the attack of cough but it also reduces the congestion in chest if used repeatedly.
- Prepare a linctus from Harad, Lavang (cloves), Adraka (ginger), Nagar musta (nut grass)- all in powder form and mixed with honey and lick three to four times daily.
- Warm/hot water sips help to reduce dry cough.
- Honey is good for cough, and is used as a vehicle for medicines.
Some common Ayurvedic medicines
- One tea spoon (5 gms.) of Sitopaladi Churna mixed with honey may be given three times a day in productive cough.
- Lavangadi vati/ Khadiradi vati is also useful. 2 tabs three times a day.
Referral criteria: In case cough is present for more than 2-3 weeks; the patient should consult a doctor. The patient may be referred to a doctor if breathlessness or red discolouration of the phlegm is found while coughing.