In this condition the patient passes liquid motions frequently sometimes associated with pain and this water loss (dehydration) can be fatal especially in children. Treatment of diarrhoea is very easy and quite effective. Don’t try to stop diarrhoea immediately (loose motions may not stop for 2-3 days if not watery); the principle is to prevent dehydration. Water needs to be restored quickly. Continue feeding. If child is breast feeding, it should continue.
- Powder of Pomegranate fruit rind (5-10gms) mixed with honey may be given four times.
- Add a few drops of Pudin Hara or Amritdhara (mint essence or peppermint) to half a cup of water and drink it 3-4 times daily.
- Powder of fruit pulp of Aegle marmalos (bel/ bilva) 1 tea spoon (5 gm.) mixed with a glass (100 ml to 250 ml) of butter milk (takra) to be taken three/ four times.
- Qwath of Motha (Mustak) and Kutaj in same quantity may be given two times.
- Juice of Babbul leaves mixed with honey may be given two/ three times.
- Powder of fried cumin (Jiraka ) or fruit of long pepper (Pippali) or dried ginger (shunthi) one tea spoon (5 gm.) mixed with 1 litre butter milk (Takra/ Mattha) and divided into 4 equal parts, and each part is to be given at the interval of six hours.
- One teaspoonful of dried mango fruit when taken with butter milk two times a day acts as a good curative for diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Take one raw papaya. Add 3 cups of water into it and boil it for near about 10 minutes. Now strain the mixture and finish the water in one day.
General precautions: Give the baby a lot of watery foods like ‘Sharbat’, coconut water, rice-kanji, light tea etc. which are commonly available, locally accepted liquids also may be given to children. The person suffering from bloody diarrhoea (dysentery) needs immediate medical help. Treatment often starts with an oral rehydrating solution.