Aggravation of wind (Vayu) in abdomen causes pain. Other causes are flatulence, constipation, exposure to cold/damp, hernia, appendicitis, stone etc whose presence confuses the matter but, since symptoms are quite different in each case. If it is due to indigestion or constipation, it is easy to manage at home.
- Paste of Asafoetida (hing) may apply around the umbilicus.
- Powdered roasted seed of Bishop’s Weed (ajwain) one tea spoon (5gm.) may be taken with warm water.
- Sucking of fried Terminalia chebula (Harada) in Castor oil (Eranda tail) mixed with salt may be taken two times a day.
- Fried Asafoetida (Hing) in Ghee to be taken with Jaggary (guda), twice a day.
- Hingvashtak churna one tea spoon (5 gm.) with hot water.
- Lasunaadi Vati-2 tablets 3 times daily may also be tried.
Diet advice: Nothing should be given to eat or drink during an attack. But, when the crisis period is over, some light, liquid diet may be advised. Avoid giving, heavy and, fried foods, spices etc. Encourage the patient to walk and do mild exercises. Drink warm water in intervals.
- When the pain is so severe and the patient is restless with pain.
- Distension in abdomen and vomiting occurs.